Friday, December 08, 2006

Toes of socks - II

Today we talk about toes again. Once I get home from school and finalize the post, we'll see toes as well. (I found my camera cable, and have been having a slight argument wiht my battery about whether or not it's going to keep a charge... I appear to be losing that argument, I need a new battery)

I made pointy toes for my Sockapaloooza pal when I followed Nancy Bush's pattern earlier this year. They fit decently and I really enjoyed not needing to kitchener the stitches at the tip of the toe, however, most people I know do not have a very pointy middle toe. So, this toe was less than perfect for actual use.

I figured when I worked up the green Lorna's socks that I'd try modifying my standard toe to alleviate the need for the dreaded kitchener stitch (I have actually conquered the kitchener, I think I can even do it without going and looking up the directions again, but that's beside the point). My new favorite toe works up quite nicely to the shape of my feet. It's here in the green picture.



In the red picture, however you see a toe that I should have realized would be problematic and modified it accordingly ahead of time. I love the lace on these socks (Thank you Sundara). The pattern is from her Petals Collection fall mailing. The yarn is a lovely slightly varegaited collection of reds like one sees in fall leaves and it's a joy to work with. However, the toes of this sock are square



and mine are, most definitely not, see?



I wish I'd thought to modify the toe before I did a couple of repeats of the lace, but I'll rip it out and do it again because I am quite enamored of how the lace looks. I'll probably use the same lace chart for a scarf at some point in the not too distant future, it's just pretty.

And, just because they haven't shown up on the blog in person before now. Here are the Socks that Rock socks that I finished during Socktoberfest. The pattern is the same one as the sockwars pattern, but with more stitches. Aren't they pretty?



I mostly don't even mind the pooling around the ankles. There are days when I wish I had more patience for doing contrasting color short-row heels just so the color patterning on the leg and foot wouldn't be interrupted. Alas, I prefer heel flaps and even if I did a contrasting flap, the gusset would still throw things off. I'll just pretend I don't notice that part and love them anyways.

3 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Kat said...

I never realised how steep some people's toes were! Mine really are almost square. Pointy toed socks make me feel like I am wearing pointe shoes that taper to nothing. Give me a square kitchenered toe any day!

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice socks, Bethiee! For socks, I prefer to start toe up (if I start top down, I have to graft the toes and the only way I know how to is with the sock inside-out!)and on 12 sts, which gives me a square toe for my square feet! I agree with Kat, pointy toes make me feel like I am wearing pointy shoes!

I'm glad you figured out a way to make your socks more comfortable.

Happy Knitting!
SP9

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger vanessa said...

i make my own anatomically correct toes, i guess based on the flat
toe. instead of doing the every other decrease row of knit til last 3
sts, [k 2 tog, k1, then k1, ssk at the beg of next needle], i make the
third row (2nd decrease row) knit til last 4 sts, [k3tog, k1, then k1,
sssk] only on one side of the toe, the other side of the toe you knit
plain with no decreases.
repeat the 4 rows til you have 12 sts left on top and bottom (24 sts
altogether).
for the 2nd sock, just make the decreases on the other side. if that
doesn't make any sense, i'll try and explain it again! it's really
simple, and the socks fit perfectly :-)
vanessa
p.s. before i graft, i do the trick where you slip each of the 4
outside sts over the one next to it, so you end up with 10 sts on 2
needles for grafting, no "dog ears".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home