Saturday, October 07, 2006

SP 9 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Ooh, favorite yarns... that's a tough one.
I absolutely adore Sundara's yarn, especially getting the Petals Collection boxes every couple of months.
I'm on an Alchemy kick since Knit Happens had them on 50% off when I was in their shop a couple of weeks ago.
For staples, you know, those yarns you just keep going back to again and again, there's Koigu, Cascade 220, 220 Superwash, Lambs Pride and Cotton Fleece.
Color patterning favorites would have to be Koigu, Socks that Rock, Lorna's Laces, and Noro's Silk Garden/Kureyon
For baby stuff, Dale's superwash, 220 Superwash, and (though I hate to admit it) Encore.
I think that's enough. Pretty much, I don't really have any one favorite yarn. It all depends on what I'm working on.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
My apartment.
No, seriously, they're everywhere...

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for most of 8 consecutive years now. I consider myself intermediate, though that's probably an underestimate because if you give me a pattern and enough time, I'll be able to do pretty much anything. (My tension on cables and stranding distresses me, but people tell me I'm being too picky)
My mom taught me when I was little. I taught myself again in college.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I do, ask for the link if you're interested.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
Not synthetic.
Pretty much I'm not too much of a scent type of girl (though I've been lusting after some Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs Imps for a while now and just not getting around to setting aside some of my spending money for them).
Generally I prefer my scents simple and dilute. I really don't like walking into a space and getting smacked by a scent.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I have a chocolate tooth. (but I'm vegan, so at this point milk and white chocolate are right out... check the ingredients, the new allergen labelling requirements make it really easy, I love them)

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I spin. I crochet. I sew (infrequently and badly). I dye (again infrequently). I have a cross-stitch pattern I'd like to work up, but haven't gotten around to it. Generally I don't finish needlework projects, so I really try not to start them.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Almost any, and yes.
I have an oddly extensive collection of Latin pop (Thank you Muppet!), and a soft spot in my heart for hard rock/metal that actually has a melody line and band members that can sing. (Nightwish and Dresden Dolls are two personal favorites in that category). I also particularly like new(ish) folk, singer/songwriters, etc... (think Dar Williams, Joan Baez, Rebecca Riots, etc..)
My personal laptop spends most of its time playing music for me off an external hard-drive that is embarassingly close to full. And I haven't even put most of my CDs onto it yet... I don't think they're going to fit.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Favorite colors: Greens and Blues.
Colors I shouldn't wear: Yellows and Browns.
Colors I can't stand: not so much, every color has its use, the only question is whether it'll be useful to me. *giggle*

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have one pet, a lovely chow-cross named Zhenya.
Isn't he cute?


11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes, Yes, Yes, No.
I also particularly like shawls.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Um... I have yarn for more socks than anything else, but I suspect that's just because as projects go, it's inexpensive and the colors keep inspiring me to pick up "just one more pair"...
I have lots of yarn for sweaters, but I seem to have trouble finishing them. (Poinsettia is earmarked to be finished before Christmas. We'll see if it happens, just one sleeve cap left to knit and then the finishing)

13. What are you knitting right now?
I'm not knitting. I'm typing.
That's not what you meant, is it?
I'm working on a lace sampler scarf of my own anal-retentive design, Poinsettia, Icarus, a baby blanket, a baby suprise jacket, Charming wristwarmers, and assorted other projects in various stages of neglect.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes, absolutely.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I prefer pointy needles with smooth joins (I suppose that makes them circular, huh?), and double points for socks.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes. Yes.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Don't ask, I don't know. Maybe by flash your stash in April, I'll have found them all and will be able to tell you then, but for now I plead ignorance, pleading the fifth would be unnecessary.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween, Samhain.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn? UFO's? Little PMC or paperclay dragons made by the TattersMan at Norwescon? Train Lanterns from my Grandfather's collection?
None of these things are particularly useful as the start point of gifts.
Knitting books. Knitting patterns. I'd love to collect pretty crochet hooks, but I haven't started that collection yet. Would you like to do it for me?

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Spin to Knit looks interesting though I'll probably not buy it for myself any time soon. Poetry in Stitches and Norsk Strikkedesign are two I've been lusting after for years.
I subscribe to InterweaveKnits and Spin-Off.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Not really. I'd like to get better at stranding, but that will come with time I suspect. I keep meaning to pick up one of each of the varieties of yarn holder ring-thingies, but forget where I've seen them.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am. I'll go find the measurements later.. I'm pretty sure they're in my SP8 questionairre, but I should get back to studying.
A related side note, I prefer my socks fairly tight around the instep.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
05/27
This means when I'm attending a state school I'll often get a holiday weekend for my birthday. Now that I'm back at a private school, I'll be done for the year before my birthday comes around.

2 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what yarns would you like to try that you've never tried before?

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah... i just might be going to rhinebeck and guess who's gonna be there? yup... grafton fibers ... lol.;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home