Sunday, March 05, 2006

Experimental Intarsia

If you've been following this blog, you know that I have never before mentioned intarsia, except perhaps in a list of techniques I've never tried.

This would, by most standards make me an odd choice as a source for advice. It does not stop me from having an opinion, so when a friend at Knit'n'Knuth asked me for help figuring out how do create intarsia with shaping around the edges I was more than happy to take on the challenge.

The request: To make an argyle pattern that looks like the diamonds grow from the fabric rather than being flat patches of color.

The solution: To start the diamond with a triple increase and then place paired increases and decreases along the edges of the diamonds.

The end results:



Not my knitting, but he said pretty much followed the chart I drafted after a bit of swatching.
They look much more like leaves than I was expecting, but when the accent lines are put in with duplicate stitch, the intended effect will be obvious.
As to the pattern itself, it's a top down raglan that's been converted to flat knitting so the intarsia could be added. The yarn is a lovely alpaca blend knit loosely so the finished product will be wearable indoors. There will be one set of three diamonds down the sleeves and another set down the front of the sweater. It's a fun design and will look wonderful on the knitter.

We can't currently find the chart I wrote out. When it is found I'll append an image to this post. It's the first chart I've drafted and I'm thrilled it's working out so well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home