Sunday, April 30, 2006

Baby Sweaters are Yellow

I've already written this post once today. Please forgive me if it's not as interesting the second time around.

I started this project spectrum baby sweater a day early. I'll not be finishing it during April. It knit up so quickly, I thought I'd easily finish it by mid month. This is just over a week's worth of progress.



Unfortunately, it spent the last three weeks being ignored.
The reason it got sent to the corner of the knitting basket and ignored?
It's neckline.



I got this far into it and realized that the neckline as called for in the pattern would drive me batty with its asymetry and curling outward.
(Please ignore the tension oddites in the decreases on either side of the neck, they are my own doing and therefore I do not feel entitled to complain about them)

Confident that I would not have chosen a pattern destined to annoy me like this, I was angry that the model photographed in the book did not share the same annoying characteristics.
Then I looked at the picture again.



See? The model does almost exactly the same thing as my sweater.
Bother. At this point I decided to set the sweater aside and pretend it didn't exist. I like to let projects sit for a while while I decide whether I really want to rip them all the way back out and start over with a new pattern..

Then about a week ago, I mentioned my frustration to a coworker and she suggested putting a row of single crochet around the edges of the neckline.
Crochet seems like a perfect fix for my problem and has rescued the sweater from almost certain demise. I'll probably put a row around the bottom hem and sleeve cuffs just so the edges are finished the same way, but that shouldn't take very much time or yarn.

Now if I could just find the pattern book, I'd get started on the second half of the sweater...

5 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! The sweater looks great, but I'm very curious about those clog-type thingies up at the top right corner. Are those baby clogs (cloggies?).

And, just to let you know: your Sockapaloooza socks won't be yellow. Hee hee!

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Bethieee said...

The thingies up at the top corner of the picture are baby booties from the cover of the pattern book.

Yay.. I have a sockpal!!!
Bounce...

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

I got my socks today! I love them! Thanks so much - everything is wonderful! Yippee!

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One sock is done. The second is in progress.

--You Know Who

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is this from the erika knight book? i made this sweater, too but haven't sewn it together. i'm not sure tha tmine did the curling in thing that you mentioned. i'll have to check. the color is bright & lovely though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home