Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Mobius Basket II

The mobius basket went to lunch with my sister and I last week. Out of this deal, I got a skein of lovely red Manos yarn; it's either Bing Cherry or Brick, I don't have it here to look at the tag. She got a non-orientable blue-on-blue basket. And we both got salmon for lunch.
In the yarn shop where she bought me the skein of yarn, one of the staff came up and complimented her purse. I said it was a basket and not really a purse (please ignore the simple fact that it was hanging on my sister's arm with her keys and wallet in it looking for all the world like a purse), and she proudly said, "It's non-orientable!" The poor employee didn't seem to understand and my sister offered no explanation. Since I didn't figure out how to explain, the conversation ended there.
She loved it! My little sister actually loved something I made for her without getting explicit permission first!
In reality this isn't the first time it's happened, she liked the wristwarmers that I made her a couple years ago, in fact she wants a pair for her husband so he'll stop stealing hers. (I need to remember to send her some of the leftover yarn so she can darn the moth hole in one of the cuffs before it runs) But immediately before that gift there was the ill-fated dusty rose bulky chenile (are we noticing a problem here... none of these descriptors fits an object well suited to the recipient) hat and scarf set. It was donated to the school's clothing swap bin within 3 months of my giving it to her. I've forgiven her for giving it away, I'd rather know about the failures than keep making them, and at this point I see the failing was in my choice of project and not her level of gratitude.

4 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally know what you are talking about with your sister! I have two little sisters that I'm absolutely paranoid about knitting for. They are so picky and I don't want to spend all that effort on something they won't like! It's so hard to decide whether to just get them to show me what they want or to try to surprise them.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Bethieee said...

Well I know what she wants next, and at the moment it's a Klein Bottle Hat. Unfortunately I've tried knittting the darn thing 3 or 4 times now and it either doesn't work or looks stupid and I'm not willing to compromise. Thankfully she's willing to wait!
-B

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Peacock said...

"ill-fated dusty rose bulky chenile "

hmmm... since I can't imagine those descriptors fitting the KNITTER, I can't say I'm really surprised. ..but you've grown so much since that early project, and your choices are much improved these days. I'm glad she likes the basket.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Bethieee said...

Does it help that it was crochetted?
-B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home