Thursday, July 07, 2005

Berry Patch Shawl (or BSG IV)

I forgot to mention my most striking accomplishment from BSG.
I started my first major project from my own handspun yarn.
A while back, I purchased some custom blended fiber from Bountiful Spinning and Weaving when I bought my wheel from them. It's the color way called Berry Patch. In May or so, I spun it to a light worsted weight and planned to make a shawl, but hadn't quite gotten around to it.
I know worsted's a little heavy for a shawl, but it will be warm and cuddly. (In reality it wasn't so much a decision as the result of my not having much control with my wheel combined with wanting to do a project that didn't require sampling, so I took what I got and spun up the whole 4 ounce batch.
It is, as expected, rather heavy and so the yarn didn't cover as much ground as I wanted to, but in the weekend at BSG (and one ride to work the next week), I knit the entire ball of yarn into a triangle that barely covers my shoulders.
Since that's a bit small for a shawl, I'm going to be using purple cascade 220 to knit a lacy border to go around it and make it the size that I'd originally been hoping for. I have yet to decide what sort of a lace pattern I'm going to use, probably something simple as the main body of it is a simple horizontal rib.
Any suggestions?

2 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Peacock said...

what about the pattern from clue 1 of the mystery stole?

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Bethieee said...

Yeah, that could work really well... I'll have to figure out how to do the corners with it, but that's true of any pattern since I haven't done a corner with lace before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home