Friday, June 03, 2005

Rather late, and I'm not a rabbit

Recently I arrived at an Alice in Wonderland themed tea-party wishing I had a pair of rabbit ears handy.
"I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date, no time to say hello, good-bye, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!"
Though in that case I was simply fashionably late and had many different sorts of snacky foods in hand that went over very well at the party.

This time, I'm late putting up a post in honor of Memorial Day, the recent holiday that sometimes causes me to get my birthday off work. This year it did not, I merely got a long weekend, but I digress.

Most people think of Memorial Day as a time to honor fallen soldiers, if they think of it at all. This is a wonderful cause and fallen soldiers should be thought of far more often than once a year. Preferably they should be thought of daily, especially when we are engaged in something that causes more of them with distressing regularity.

I prefer to think of Memorial Day as a time to honor those who have died in times of war that were NOT fighting. I take time to honor the women and children who died during war, the old and young men that were not fighting who died despite their innocence. Their deaths are something that should be considered when making the decision to engage in warfare, and all too frequently they are overlooked. Let us remember.

Most years, I also make an effort to challenge someone's thinking on the matter in addition to doing my own remembering. This year, those someones are reading my blog. I do not post political content often and am not planning on changing that and I hope no-one is offended.

It is also rather late at night and I'm going to turn in. After doing just a little more work on my feather and fan shawl. We get our first clue for the mystery stole-along tomorrow and I'm quite excited... I hope I like it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home